The following video shows how to set up a brand new openSPOT2 and how to connect it to the BrandMeister network using a C4FM/Fusion radio:
Here are the steps described in detail:
Power up the openSPOT2 by plugging the supplied USB-C cable into the USB-C port.
The openSPOT2 is designed to boot very quickly, as you can see on this video:
If the device is running with the factory default configuration, then there's an initialization running for about 15-20 seconds and the LED will be blinking white. After this, the LED will be slowly pulsating white indicating that the device has entered access point (AP) mode and it's broadcasting it's own Wi-Fi network called openSPOT2 AP.
The AP mode is the openSPOT2's default mode of operation if no Wi-Fi networks are configured. AP mode lets you configure a Wi-Fi network which the openSPOT2 will connect in normal mode. You can switch between AP and normal mode anytime by pressing the button for 3 seconds.
Connecting the openSPOT2 to a Wi-Fi network
This animation shows you the whole initialization setup process using a phone:
Connect your web browser device (phone/tablet/computer) to the Wi-Fi network called openSPOT2 AP.
If there is no Wi-Fi network called openSPOT2 AP, then make sure the openSPOT2 is in AP mode (white LED is pulsating). You can switch between AP and normal mode anytime by pressing the button for 3 seconds.
The initialization setup opens automatically.
Select the country of operation, then click on the Next button.
- Select which Wi-Fi network the openSPOT2 will use (usually your own Wi-Fi network) by clicking on the Connect button at the desired Wi-Fi network. Enter the Wi-Fi network password in the Network key dialog (make sure you enter the password case sensitive), then click on the dialog's Connect button.
- The openSPOT2 stops broadcasting it's own Wi-Fi network, and automatically tries to connect to the selected Wi-Fi network.
- The web browser device (ex. your phone) detects that the openSPOT2 AP is no longer available, and automatically connects back to the previously used Wi-Fi network. If it does not, connect it to the same network you've selected during the initialization setup (usually your own Wi-Fi network).
A successful connection to the Wi-Fi network is indicated by a pulsating green/yellow LED on the openSPOT2 which means the Null connector is active and the device is connected to the Wi-Fi network.
Quick Setup initialization
Open SharkRF Link in your web browser. Enter the openSPOT2's device UID (you can find this ID on the sticker at the bottom of the openSPOT2), then click on the Connect button.
The openSPOT2's web interface will open in your web browser. Fill in your callsign and IDs in the Quick setup, then click on the Save button:
Quick Setup helps you to configure the openSPOT2 with your transceiver and connect to the preferred network with the following steps:
- Select the type of your radio
- Set some basic settings like the frequency, and select the network you want to connect (this will set which connector will be used)
- Select the server to connect, set the needed network parameters (like your callsign, IDs, etc.), and click on the Connect button
- After the openSPOT2 is connected to the selected server it is ready to use with your transceiver
The following animation shows the Quick Setup for connecting to the BrandMeister network using a DMR transceiver: